Whether you need more insulation in your home or commercial building, you’ve probably done some research, trying to figure out which type of insulation would be the best. Although that’s what professionals are for, it can be helpful to have some information on the front end!
Perhaps you’ve seen the terms “faced” and “unfaced” and are wondering what they mean. Keep reading to learn more!
What Is the Difference Between Faced and Unfaced Insulation?
There are many types of insulation that are unfaced—such as spray foam and loose-fill fiberglass. Faced insulation has a vapor barrier, or a vapor retarder (the facing) that helps prevent moisture from moving from one space to another. The facing also helps protect the surface, hold the insulation together and fasten the material to building components. Foil and plastic facings on rigid polyisocyanurate foam panels can even help stabilize the R-value.
Facing can be any variety of material—common ones include:
- Kraft paper
- Foil kraft paper
- Aluminum foil
When to Use Faced Insulation
- In cathedral ceilings (foil-faced batts are often used in these types of ceilings for the permeability rating frequently required for use in ceilings without attics)
- In spaces that require insulation with a fire rating (some facings provide flame resistance)
- When downward heat flow needs to be prevented (radiant barriers, which have facing, are effective at doing this)
When to Use Unfaced Insulation
- When adding new insulation over existing insulation
- Depending on material, anytime a facing isn’t required (for instance, spray foam may be ideal for the walls and facing isn’t necessary)
Insulation Installation in Bakersfield, CA
The team at Broken Drum Insulation of Bakersfield installs unfaced insulation (spray foam, cellulose, blown-in fiberglass, batt fiberglass and rockwool) as well as faced insulation. We use Thermax insulation board, which has a glass-fiber-reinforced, faced polyisocyanurate foam core for a variety of commercial projects.
Contact us today to learn more about our services!